Mordheim Board - Garden of Morr Pt II (and Trees!!)
First post in a long while. I'm still alive and well - just more time poor than usual. It's very heartening to see there have been over 4,000 views of the blog!! I hope people are finding it inspiring and/or instructional!
Unfortunately, the durability of my last build, the Garden of Morr, has left a lot to be desired. The fences and stonework around the edges were prone to breaking or coming off the poster frame with any form of handling. That has meant I needed to mount it on something a little more sturdy to ensure it can handle gaming (and storage) a little better.
Unlike the docks board, I don't plan on having any raised areas so it will lose the benefit of the foam sheets and resin pour to stabilize the canvas surface. To combat this, I've glued corrugated cardboard inside the canvas, and also added some wooden pieces so I can screw the poster frame on from the underside. This seems to have made it far more sturdy. Now to add the paving!
Nothing too complex for the paving - a roadway that links to the docks and wraps around one side of the graveyard. I'll also add some cork stairways at the various entry points to the graveyard. The method is the same as the docks board and has been covered in detail in prior posts, so I won't repeat here, but I will post again once it is all done.
Another task I've been meaning to do is create some tree scatter terrain that can be used on either board. The 3D-printed trees I used for the graveyard are fantastic, and with some manipulation in slicer software, you can get varied sizes and silhouettes. Shout out to My Dungeon (My Dungeon — 3D terrain for wargames and RPGs) who had posted it for free on Reddit a while back to support one of their Kickstarter campaigns.
However, to look good on my paved boards, the trees will need to be in garden beds. Thankfully, it literally only took me 30 minutes to build some out of cork this afternoon - I love cork as a crafting material so much! Steps outlined below:
First I cut large squares of cork as the bases. I glued the trees to this with construction adhesive, after first trimming off any excess to ensure it would fit. I then cut a number of cork pieces for the garden edging. On the larger pieces, I cut in to the cork to create the illusion of a smaller piece on the end. This was done for durability.
Next, I bevelled the edges of each piece with sandpaper and then glued them to the base ensuring there was an overhang. I used superglue for this to get a quick bond.
Finally, I mixed up some PVA, sand, small gravel and the sanded cork dust to create an earthy mixture for the garden beds. I carefully pushed this into the gaps using a coffee stir stick and set them aside to dry.
All they need now is some paint and a heap of miniature leaves around the bases.






Comments
Post a Comment