The slow process of paving the Garden or Morr board continues. With most of the paved areas on my boards, I want consistent height so that there are no issues with how terrain pieces and buildings sit on them. But for the streets, I've played around with techniques to get a bit more variety in heights and texture. I thought I might provide some more details around how I do this, as I've glossed over it in the past. It's very quick and easy and looks decent.
Gradually making some progress on the paving. It's roughly a quarter done so far.
The primary materials are cork sheets and card, each of varying thickness. At miniature scale even tiny variations create a really varied and interesting finish.
I've used two cork products: one comes on a large roll and is backed with adhesive (you can see the peel away component in the photo on the right), and the other is slightly thicker and comes in sheets. They have a slightly different texture too. For card, I use thick card (e.g. the back of legal pads) and tin card (e.g. cereal box card). The adhesive backed cork has a 1cm x 1cm grid printed on the back which makes it very easy to quickly get my 1cm x 2cm tiles.
While I do try and lay the tiles randomly, I'm trying to have more of the thicker tiles on the outside and the thinner tiles in the centre. I think this would reflect the wear on the stones from foot traffic, but it also means when you do slip a thicker tile in the centre, it really stands out. I use PVA to glue it all down.
Rather than have the tiles change direction to go around a corner, I've kept the same pattern, and also ensured it lines up with the docks board.
While cork is cheap, readily available, and looks great it does take time. It'll take a few weeks to finish off the street and paving on the board, before I can get to the grouting. Stay tuned!
Comments
Post a Comment